Blisce is a growth venture capital firm that backs mission-driven entrepreneurs in the creation of global innovative consumer brands and technology companies. As a certified B Corp believes businesses can be a force of good to have a positive impact on the environment and society. ESG is embedded into all aspects of the company and is a guiding factor in our investment process.
We follow the definitions of ESG outlined by PRI:
- Environmental: Issues relating to the quality and functioning of the natural environment and natural systems.
- Social: Issues relating to the rights, well-being and interests of people and communities.
- Governance Issues relating to the governance of companies and other investee entities.
Blisce as a management company
As a certified BCorp we value and are committed to the 5 BCorp pillars:
Customers: as a Management Company, Blisce reviews in detail conformity in terms of AML & Tax conformity for each subscribers in the fund.
Community: as a team, the Blisce team has committed to donating 20% of their carried interest revenues to Epic, a non-profit startup that fights to change the lives of disadvantaged youth worldwide.
Environment: Blisce is committed to reducing their environmental footprint. The first step we believe is to understand our impact by performing a carbon emissions analysis, which will allow us to more actively reduce our carbon footprint. We are continuously improving our practices and policies to reduce our waste, use ethical and environmental products, and reduce our carbon footprint.
Some practices currently in place:
- Offset all professional travel
- Provide company trainings of how to reduce our digital carbon footprint
- Work from home policy to reduce CO2 emissions
- Encourage employees to cycle to work through bicycle schemes
- Use recycled and recyclable products
- Foster a team of leaders with diverse socio-economic, educational and cognitive backgrounds
- Promote an inclusive and secure workplace
- ESG bi-monthly meeting reporting directly to the board of directors
- ESG Lead appointed
The remuneration policy applied by Blisce are in line with the AIFMD regulations.
As of today, our remuneration policies do not discourage the consideration of sustainability risks in the investment decision process.
Blisce team also commits 20% carried to the EPIC Foundation.
B Lab is a nonprofit that serves a global movement of people using business as a force for good. B Lab’s initiatives include B Corp Certification, administration of the B Impact Management programs and software, and advocacy for governance structures like the benefit corporation. B Lab’s vision is of an inclusive, equitable, and regenerative economic system for all people and the planet. To date, there are over 3,400 Certified B Corps in 150 industries and 70 countries, and over 70,000 companies use the B Impact Assessment. Visit bcorporation.net for more information
We are signatories of the Sista chart which aims at reducing inequalities of funding between male and female entrepreneurs.
Visit wearesista.com for more information
United Nations Principles for Responsible Investments
The six Principles for Responsible Investment are a voluntary and aspirational set of investment principles that offer a menu of possible actions for incorporating ESG issues into investment practice.
- Principle 1: We will incorporate ESG issues into investment analysis and decision-making processes.
- Principle 2: We will be active owners and incorporate ESG issues into our ownership policies and practices.
- Principle 3: We will seek appropriate disclosure on ESG issues by the entities in which we invest.
- Principle 4: We will promote acceptance and implementation of the Principles within the investment industry.
- Principle 5: We will work together to enhance our effectiveness in implementing the Principles.
- Principle 6: We will each report on our activities and progress towards implementing the Principles.
Visit unpri.org for more information
Blisce’s investment process
Blisce has carefully embedded ESG practices across every level of the investment fund.
To ensure we have a talented, yet diverse pipeline we source companies through a wide network of leveraging technological platforms, market research, events and professional networks.
However, as Blisce is not an impact fund, we didn’t commit to invest only in impactful companies in terms of ESG.
Due Diligence process
During due diligence our investment team carefully performs a negative screening to ensure there are no fundamental issues with the company’s mission, supply chain and environmental or societal impact. We also screen for potential risks related to employment practices, suppliers and supply chain and environmental impact. We also strive to understand the company’s governance & mission, diversity & inclusion practices and charitable giving practices.
Our assessment during the due diligence process is used to identify risk-factors relevant to a company’s activities in the following key areas:
- Employment practices (covered primarily by legal diligence)
- Suppliers & supply chain
- Environmental impact
Additionally reviews the following information:
- Governance & Mission
- Diversity and inclusion practices
- Charitable giving practices
At the investment deal stage all of our portfolio companies take BCorp’s B Impact Assessment (BIA) as an ESG assessment. While there are many impact tools available we believe the BIA provides a comprehensive overview and standardized market benchmark. We hope the assessment can serve as a launch point for ventures hoping to expand and grow their ESG policies and we plan to support them along the way. The fund’s term sheet includes two non-negotiable clauses for ventures: an agreement to carry out an ongoing ESG evaluation every 12 months; and a commitment to interview at least one diverse profile for every open senior leadership position.
ESG Portfolio Management
We believe outstanding companies are international, diverse, inclusive, and responsible. As a result our Platform team focuses on enabling our portfolio companies to be international, diverse, inclusive, and responsible through the following support:
- Perform an ESG assessment and reassessment every 18 months
- Support the development of an ESG strategy
- ESG trainings and workshops
- DEI strategy support